[TowerTalk] Trig Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Trig Question
From: realex@flash.net (bob alexander)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 12:41:15 -0500
Rick Bullon wrote:

>  I need some help doing some calculations for a tower. It has been over
> 30 years since I took trig in school and I can't remember my formulas.
>   The tower is going to be 70 ft Rohn 25 guyed as per the Rohn book, 70
> mph wind area guy  wires at 32' and 65' guyed at 56' from tower base it
> will right now have a TH 6 tribander on it.
> My questions are
>  1. With 2 of the guy points on the property line how far is it from the
> property line to the tower? ( I need this measurement so I can figure
> the postion of the 3rd guy point to see if the proposed site is big
> enough)
>  2. Will elevating the guy points make the guys wires longer or shorter?
> and if so by how much? ( XYL requires elevaterd guy points)
>   I seem to remember reading on here that "I" beams were stronger than
> round pipe for elevated guy points right or wrong?
>   Do I need to use an equlizer plate for this setup or is that over
> kill?
>  thanks
> Rick Bullon
> KC5AJX

Rick,
with the guy points on the property line, the base of the tower will
be 28 feet from the line.   The 3rd guy point is 84 feet from the
property line. The guy points on the property line are 97 feet apart.

Elevating the guy points has the effect of moving the guy points
away from the tower base.

Use the equalizer plates.
73, Bob, W5AH