[TowerTalk] Guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying questions
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (w2xx@cloud9.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:52:00 -0400 (EDT)
Answers interspersed below...

J.P. Kleinhaus, W2XX  (fdba AA2DU)
E-mail:  w2xx@cloud9.net

As we say in the software business:  "You are hosed."

On Wed, 23 Sep 1998, Mike wrote:

> First, Where does one buy the 3/16EHS cable? Can you get it at a hardware
> store or something like that?

No...the cable you see at hardware stores is not EHS grade.  It is
suitable for a dog run, clothesline etc.

The easiest place to buy it is Texas Towers.  See any hame mag for
their number.

> Second, Is there a special type of turnbuckles to use for guying purposes?

Just make sure you buy ones suitable for the load you will be putting
on them. 1/2x12 Eye to Jaw should be more than adequate.

> Third, What is the preffered method of attachment to the anchor. Clamps or
> preformed grips?

Preformed grips are the only way to go.  Easier and more reliable.

> Last, I have considered using Phillystran for only part of the guys, is
> this acceptable? i.e. use it for the top guys and not the bottom ones.

That is fine.  Compared with the cost for properly installing EHS with
insulators to break up resonances, it is similar.  Just watch out for
abrasion (i.e. tree branches etc.).  Most people use EHS for the last
10-15 feet (closest to the ground) to help guard against vandalism and
brush fires.

73, J.P. W2XX