[TowerTalk] Guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying questions
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:49:57 -0500 (CDT)
> First, Where does one buy the 3/16EHS cable? Can you get it at a hardware
> store or something like that?

You might try the local utility supplier.  Beware however that
not all steel rope wire is EHS.  Make sure you get the EHS (Extra
High Strength) stuff.

> Second, Is there a special type of turnbuckles to use for guying purposes?

Anything that is forged and hot-dipped-galvanized.  Do *NOT* ever
use "formed" turnbuckles (with a bent hook for an eye), only forged
turnbuckles are acceptable.

> Third, What is the preffered method of attachment to the anchor.
> Clamps or preformed grips?

I like the grips for every EHS termination, and won't ever use clamps
on EHS again.  Clamps loosen over time, plus the grips are MUCH easier
to work with.

> Last, I have considered using Phillystran for only part of the guys, is
> this acceptable? i.e. use it for the top guys and not the bottom ones.

I used to just have the top 50' of my top set of guys Philly.
Now all my guys are Philly (except for ~27' EHS at the bottom to
protext against vandalism, etc.)  For my situation, using Philly
all the way allowed for much greater flexibility in locating wire
antennas, verticals, and stacked yagis.  (Less interaction w/ guys.)

Good luck with your project,

-Kirk  K4RO