[TowerTalk] SWR and the 402CD

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SWR and the 402CD
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 23:11:15 -0400
Took down my beams today in anticipation of Hurricane Georges.  Yesterday, I
dropped the 402CD down the mast until it rested on the A4S in preparation
for taking them all down today.  Just out of curiosity, checked the SWR of
both beams while they were literally boom to boom and was amazed to find
little difference in the SWR on either beam!  I'm sure the patterns are
bonkers, but the SWR on the A4S was normal 1.2:1 and the 402CD was its
"normal" 2.6:1.  I've always had a somewhat high SWR on the 402CD, even when
I first put it up by itself.  I determined that I had some interaction with
a roof railing directly behind the beam when it was due North since the SWR
changed a bit as the beam was turned.  Didn't affect the beam's performance,
always worked very well.

My beams are roof mounted on a Glen Martin tower (my roof is flat and 75'
above sea level which is only 150 yards from my door).  I took the elements
off the 402CD since the mast to boom bolts were seized up.  A job for
another day when Hurricanes aren't breathing down my neck.

I was surprised at the amount of water that poured out of the traps and end
elements when I took the element ends  off.  I don't think this is normal,
but there are no drain holes and the elements were sealed with conducting
lubricant and the feedline was sealed with coax-seal.

Anyone else have this problem with the 402CD?

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida

"A little bit of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"