[TowerTalk] Force 12 C-31 XR vs KLM KT-34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C-31 XR vs KLM KT-34XA
From: aljaras@snet.net (NA1I)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:42:50 -0400
--------------B6EDDE8800BF2CB963E7BE16

Allen,
I've recently, 6 weeks ago, put up a C3 and it is a replacement for my
8-9 yr old TH7. I also sent away to Champion RAdidio Products, i.e.
www.championradio.com/ for their HF Triband performance and test results
Tome ($15 + s/h). Let me say that I have no connection to Force 12 or
their products nor do I work for them. I was looking for a lighter
antenna that would equal or even surpass the TH7. Well, in many ways it
is as good as the TH7 and better in the following: 1) Half the weight;
2) NO TRAPS; 3) It works adequately on 12 and 17 M. 4) Front to back
rejection is not as tight as the TH7, however, I found that my previous
TH6 was far superior to the TH7 in front to back and front to side
rejection. 5) Pop rivet construction is easy and much better then using
hose clamps or sheet metal screws. Incidentally, after 3 years of being
up, and an application of LOCKTITE when re-assembled, the elements of
the TH7 were loose because the hose clamps did not hold. 15M swr went
through the roof !!  If you have the tower capability for wind loading,
I do not, I use a HDBX-Rohn 48' tower, of putting up a larger antenna
the Bencher Skyhawk and the C3-C4 antenna might be what your looking
for. The ease of assembly really impressed me with the C3. The pop
rivets do a good job and the antenna looks good when assembled. Get the
Tome I alluded to from Champion, Steve, K7LXC and Ward, N0AX, etal do a
no nonsense approach to a variety of antennae including the KT34XA. The
unbiased report takes an honest approach and overview of various
antennas that are designed at meeting the needs of the amateur
community. Unless you use monobanders all antennae share a compromise.
Good luck with your search for a useful antenna.

de AL

Allan Elstien wrote:

> Good morning:
>
> I am very interested in putting up one either a Force 12 C-31 XR or a
> KLM-34XA.
>
> I presently use a KLM 34-A. It has been up 18 years and now the 15 meter
> elements are getting moisture probably from degeneration of the end caps.
> It has been a great antenna, hardly droops when loaded with ice, great swr,
> etc.
>
> Some would say - if it ain't broke don't fix it - but - it is 18 years
> later and I should see what else is out there. Also being near Chicago in
> the black hole I could use all the antenna I can have.
>
> I wonder about swr, ice load survival, PERFORMANCE, etc.
>
> I will appreciate any assistance and will report the results if there is
> interest.
>
> Thanks,  73, Allan N9AT
>
> --

Those that can, DX! Those that can't, Dx on nets!
--------------B6EDDE8800BF2CB963E7BE16

begin:          vcard
fn:             NA1I
n:              ;NA1I