[TowerTalk] Force 12 C3S Experience

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C3S Experience
From: n7ex@athenet.net (Dave_K9NX)
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 12:23:31 +0000
Comments  interspaced below de K9NX

At 07:12 AM 11/6/98 +0000, jan.fisher@virgin.net wrote:

>I can confirm all Greg has said about the C3S. I put a pair of these up last
>year and found the same problem with 10m. I ended up extending the elements
>with small pieces of spare tube I had around the shack. After getting the
first
>to play at the required frequency I had do then copy it to the second.

Ditto here but to a lesser degree. I used small hose clamps and small
pieces of #12 wire to extend my element tips. While overall I like the
rivet construction approach, I sure would have liked to see the split
end/hose clamp approach for ease in adjusting the element tips. Why they
INSIST on having the antenna resonant so high in the band is baffling. 90%
of activity on 10M occurs below 28550 a centering around 28300 would
probabaly give decent coverage from 28000 to 28600.

>One other problem I have is the drastic swr changes that occur in windy
>conditions. The swr is all over the place on 10 and 15 m when the wind gets
>up, this causes major problems with my Alpha 87a which trips constantly
>when the wind blows. My next task is to try to add some support to the
>elements in the form of spacers to try to maintain equal spacing between
them.
>Has anyone else overcome this problem ?

I use 2" inch wide pieces of lexan with small holes drilled in them. I then
attach these stabalizer / spreaders using UV resisteant ty-wraps about 3/4
of the way out on the drivers.

Dave
K9NX