[TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Separation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum Tubing Separation
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 14:00:50 -0500
>> These tubes are quite firmly stuck one
>>  inside the other. I would appreciate hearing some good ideas for
>>  separating them without damage.
>
>     Try heating the outer one.
>
>Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC

That can work. If you can find a long wooden dowel that's exactly the same
diameter as the inner piece, you can insert it into the outer tube and
gently tap the inner one out while heating the outer one. I once used a
piece of PVC tubing to do the same thing. It just happened to be the right
diameter. In that case, I didn't heat the outer tube and had to hit the PVC
kinda hard, and it broke right about at the moment I got the alumninum tubes
apart. A pair of bench vices should be used to hold the tubes. I used a pair
of portable bench vices designed for tuning cross country skiis.

The siezing is often caused by burrs left over from cutting the tubing. To
prevent this in the future, be sure to deburr both ends, inside and out,
with a half-round file and some sandpaper, until smooth. You also need to do
that if you cut in the usualy slits for hose clamps. I shine up the outside
with a Scotch Brite pad (to remove any hardened dirt particles) and clean
the tubing inside and out with WD-40. Always check both tubes to make sure
they aren't bent. Sight down the inside of the outer tube and look for bumps
cause by dents. They show up clearly if you look through the tube at a
light. Even a tiny dent will prevent telescoping, and you really can't fix
it. I've had shipping damage cause virtually invisible dents and have had to
get replacement tubing. Always insert the inner tube very slowly and gently.
If you meet resistance, stop! The odds are that if you proceed, the tubes
will sieze.

73, Dick, WC1M