[TowerTalk] Reply to Ox-gard use

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Reply to Ox-gard use
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:44:25 -0500
> W3EA told me that Home Depot has a compund like Ox-gard with tiny metal
> filings in it so that it can lubricate AND will allow conductivity.

None of these compounds, including those with metal, are "good" conductors.
Two or two thousand pieces of metal, non-welded or soldered joints only
make a conductive joint when considerable pressure holds them firmly in
direct contact.

Apply a LIGHT coating of any long lasting but THIN goo designed just for
this application (available from antenna manufacturers) that will keep air
and moisture out over some nice clean metal, and clamp the elements
securely. Weather proof it with a nice coat of Krylon at every joint after
wiping the goop off the outside with a solvent dampened rag.

Long after the antenna falls apart from the wind and the insulators
(including fiberglass) dies from the sun, the telescoped points will be
just as clean and shiny and connected as the day the antenna was assembled.

73 Tom