[TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation
From: p.c.white@ieee.org (Philip C. White)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:16:58 -0600
I have been doing microwave path profiles for 30+ years. In the old days, we
used barometric altimeters similar to aviation altimeters. Having flown
planes at one time also, I would judge the barometric altimeter more
accurate than aviation altimeters. In the past 20 years, I have given up
barometric altimeters in favor of USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps. The maps
have improved in accuracy with photogrammetric methods. (Check the date
on the map.)

Aside from access problems (on private property), the barometric altimeter
suffers from changes in barometric pressure and temperature. It is
imperative to measure both at a known (before and after) and the remote
location and make corrections based on the included instructions. Don't
measure on windy days as that indicates a nearby low with its associated
pressure gradients. Don't measure with a frontal system in the area. Best
measurements are in high barometric pressure when temperature changes are
minimal.

Phil, K5GJV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>