[TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:59:44 -0500
At 12:36 PM 12/23/98 -0800, Hank wrote:

>I have one valid question after all of the bandwidth about the terrain
mapping.
>When you take the 40X glass and get all of this broken down to presentable
form,
>what are you going to gain in proformance and pattern to the DX who is
half way
>around the world. How really effective is all of this in the near field
when we
>are really interested in getting out to the afar field and hearing them.
You will
>need the 40X glass to get the fly S--- out of the 2 1/2 tons of
calculations and
>paperwork. After all of this work and the suspots get better and the
propagation
>improves you will still be out reading maps and when you come in we will
be in the
>next sunspot cycle.
>My .02 worth??!!!

As I suggested in a previous message, it's certainly possible to get more
detailed than is reasonable, but I sure wouldn't dismiss analytical methods
out of hand.  For example, if you're sited on a significant downward slope
toward Europe, a 40-foot tower with a tribander might work better for
working Europeans than a monobander at 100 feet that cost 4 times as much.
The only way to know is to do the analysis.

Not doing the analysis, particularly when the question is site-specific, is
to risk wasting a ton of money.  It's great that we now have most of the
tools we need to do it.  People like W7EL, K6STI and N6BV deserve our
thanks for making it so.

Happy Holidays to all Towertalkians!

73,  Pete N4ZR
Loud is good