[TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Measuring Terrain Slope / Elevation
From: aa6eg@hh.tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:50:06 -0800 (PST)
Hi Dave,

Gee...word travels fast on email....Unfortunately, TOPO only draws the
profile plots and you have to pick off the elevations and distances from
the plots..and enter your own ascii file ..great idea...someone should
call the Topo makers, and ask
them to also provide, in their next version, an ascii file of the
profiles....My guess is that you can buy it at better
outdoor/camping/hunting supply stores
        Also, there was a mention elsewhere on the reflector, of using
DGPS for acquiring data points for plotting profiles....Even Differential
((D GPS), which provides higher accuracy than raw GPS,) probably will not
provide the accuracy you need to for terrain
profiles used in antenna modelling...especially the elevation readings,
which are quite innacurate unless sophisticated equipment  is used....

73, DX, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;
aa6eg@hh.tmx.com

599 DX Drive, Marina CA 93933
"The Contest Station from the Government"