[TowerTalk] Coax connectors and aluminum braid

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax connectors and aluminum braid
From: henrypol2@juno.com (henrypol2@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 21:58:44 -0500
I have some 75 ohm RG11 that I want to use below 30 MHz; however, the
braid wires are aluminum.  I had hoped to use standard PL259s, but have
not had any experience with trying to solder aluminum wires to the PL259
shell.  Anyone solved this problem before?  Is my only option those
crimp-on CATV "F" connectors?

BTW, the center conductor is copper-coated, so no problem there.  And to
complicate things a little more, the braid is flooded with that "sticky
stuff" that prevents moisture from getting to the aluminum foil shield
and foam dielectric.

73,

Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]