[TowerTalk] TIC Ring rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TIC Ring rotor
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:46:23 -0600 (CST)
> Is there a way to determine if the problem is in the box or up
> in the air? I'm not anxious to climb in January in Maine.

Yes.  I just went through a similar experience in which my EC-2
controller box failed.  If your metering indicator is till working,
you can try turning the ring with an external power supply.

Hook up a 12-24 VDC supply (capable of ~ 3-5 amps) to the motor
windings and see if that turns the ring.  In my case, I was able
to turn the ring, indicating that the problem was in the controller.
Reverse polarity to reverse direction.

If your metering circuit is not working, then use an ohmmeter to
measure the resistance on the indicator pot.  Obviously if it
is open then you have a problem up in the motor housing.

I've set up a small reflector for discussing the TIC rings.  If
you want to join, email me and I will add you to the list.
There's little to no traffic until someone has a problem.

-Kirk  K4RO