[TowerTalk] C-3S and TS850S ant tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C-3S and TS850S ant tuner
From: DAVED@ctilidar.com (Dave D'Epagnier)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:52:07 -0700
Rick,
I've got a C3S and an Icom IC-756. The tuner tunes it in fine on 12 and
17 meters. It even tunes it on 6 meters. I'll bet the TS850 will be able
to tune it as well. The C3S performs about like a dipole on 12 and 17.
On the other bands it's somewhat better. I measure less 2:1 SWR
bandwidth on 10m then what they specify.

Force 12 cheats a bit when specifying SWR bandwidth on their antennas.
When specifying gain they spec the gain of just the antenna (as they
should), but when specifying SWR bandwidth they go and throw in 100' of
RG-8 between the antenna and where the measurement is made. This adds
about a dB of loss which will naturally lower the SWR reading. The true
SWR of the antenna is higher though, and the true 2:1 SWR bandwidth is
less than what they specify. So don't expect to pick up any bandwidth
with a Force 12 (over what is specified) due to feedline losses like you
can with other manufacturer's antennas. No offense on Force 12, it's
just that if they're going to specify SWR bandwidth that way, in my
opinion they ought to lower the specified antenna gain by 1dB (antenna +
feedline gain)..

Overall it's about the best tribander antenna for its size and weight
available. The thing is rugged too. I know for a fact It survives 80mph
winds no problem.

--Dave
K0QE
(formerly AB0GJ)