[TowerTalk] Selsyns and prop pitch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Selsyns and prop pitch
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:41:02 -0800
Mike:  I have been using a modified prop pitch motor to turn first a large 20m
4 el and later a full size 2 el 40 with no windmilling. I use a heavy duty wall
switch triac w rotary knob feeding a step down xfmr and bridge rectifier. I
always turn the triac switch down when I start rotating and move it up slowly
as I watch the direction indicator. When I approach the correct direction I
turn the triac knob down to coast to a gentle stop. Apparently some others have
had problem w windmilling but not I. This setup was used for 20 plus years in
Tulsa and Dallas.
  Re the selsyns, I used them for about a year in Tulsa but moisture got in the
bearing and the rotator one froze up. Since that time I have used 5K pot driven
by very small stainless cable w pulleys. Some people make a toothed gear out of
sheet metal to drive either a selsyn or a pot. This mates w the bevel gear on
the prop pitch and mounts in tilted fashion to be at 90 deg to bevel gear teeth
surface. It can be either a large one and a single turn pot or a small one and
a multiturn pot. At the station end I use a simple LM 324 op amp driving a 1 ma
meter. I have a large 7 inch one. The scale was flipped over and hand lettered
w degree scale. I haven't seen selsyns in flea market for years so no idea what
they might cost. 73, and GL. Dan, N5AR