[TowerTalk] Tower Lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Lighting
From: hires@rust.net (Floyd Soo)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:41:30 -0500
Gang,

Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case?  I have heard
conflicting stories, some say that tenants on the tower are no longer
responsible for liability like they used to be; others are saying this:

>>Tower fines
>>
>>The FCC has again said that all users of a
>>commercial tower are responsible for its proper
>>maintenance.  This includes Amateur Radio repeaters.
>>Phil Thomas, W8RMJ says that it could cost you big
>>bucks if you don't head the governments warning.
>>

>>The FCC is warning Amateur repeater owners that
>>they will be held liable for deficiencies in tower
>>marking and lighting rules.
>>
>>This in the aftermath of a near collision of an air
>>ambulance helicopter and a tower recently in Texas.
>>
>>The FCC warns that not only is the tower owner
>>responsible, but any tenant on a tower is also
>>fully responsible.
>>
>>If you, your club or organization own or maintain
>>any equipment on any tower structure, you will be
>>held liable.  This means that if the FCC or FAA
>>fines a tower owner, you will be fined also.
>>

>>Many amateur radio clubs that own repeaters think
>>that their responsibility for tower maintenance
>>ends when they pay their monthly site rental fee.
>>The FCC says that the actual responsibility never
>>ends.  That every user of a tower is responsible
>>for its proper maintenance.  This even includes
>>guest radio systems that are paying no fees at all.
>>
>>(FCC, ANW)

Thanks for your input!
Floyd Soo, W8RO
President, HI-RES Communications, Inc.
Board Member, Collins Collectors Association (#002)
QRP-L #392
hires@rust.net
http://www.rust.net/~hires