[TowerTalk] Tower Lighting

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Lighting
From: K7NV@contesting.com (Kurt Andress)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:12:59 -0800
<36A858A4.65CC827E@vegas.infi.net>
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

dlhough@vegas.infi.net wrote:

>     When it comes to liability, anything goes. Years ago the old MGM Grand
> in Las Vegas had a big fire. It was Otis Elevator that got stuck with a huge
> bill. Not that Otis Elevator was at fault for the fire - it started in a
> kitchen - but Otis Elevator was the "deep pocket". The legal principal of
> "joint and several liability" nailed Otis.
>
>     These cellular towers are at most 200' tall. Someday some airliner is
> going to hit one of these things and heaven forbid, a lot of folks are going
> to get hurt. AT&T will be a tenant on this tower and also the deep pocket.
> Any airliner flying 200' high has got other problems but in a court room it
> doesn't matter. Courts in this country, it seems, is where all logic and
> common sense are left at the door.

Amen Dave!

Here's another one that displays this defect in our system, submitted to me by
one of our esteemed reflector contributors.

<There was a joke at NASA about the amount of liability insurance
<we required each payload owner to take out -- $500 million dollars.
<Someone asked how that was calculated, and the straight reply was  "a
<share of the liability from the worst feasible accident."  When asked how
that
<was defined, one of our smartie lawyers replied, "The space shuttle
<crashes into the Orange Bowl while it is hosting a convention of the
<American Trial , Lawyers Association, and kills all but one."

Cement-a-shoes for these guys! They daily invade my attempts to simply
watch the
news, by blatantly advertising for all the stupid people in the world who have
done stupid things and suffered from their own stupidity, so that the smartie
lawyers can help them explore the "deep pockets" principles of the legal
system.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned personal accountability principle?

There are hundreds of really useful, great ideas that get stuffed into the "to
risky" bin every day, in corporate board rooms, because of this threat.

We all lose from this scenario!

Remember, the most important thing to do is not apply any of your own
intelligence to any issue, but just do what someone else says, so that you and
the smartie lawyer can go sue his tail when you don't understand it and
screw it
up!

Well, this kind of mentality should effectively shut down this and any other
reflector.
We should just play it safe and talk about "True North"!

Yawn! Think It would be better to go do something else!

Everyone gets to make their own decisions about this stuff. Maybe we can
start a
stupid persons & litigators reflector so they can go where they belong, and
leave the rest of us alone to openly talk about new ideas and new solutions to
old problems.!

--
73, Kurt

K7NV "That's K7 "Nevada" (ex - NI6W)

YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/