[TowerTalk] 80/160 Verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80/160 Verticals
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (Bruce Sawyer)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:23:15 -0800
As this year's contest season goes on, I'm seeing over and over that I'm
making hay on 10/15, holding my own on 40/20, but getting my clock
cleaned on 80/160.  It's time to do something about that.  So I'm
looking for product suggestions...

Last January I used a 160m vertical from R.F. Meyers over with 8Q7AA,
and was really quite impressed with it.  We also had a 80m vertical, but
I didn't spend much time on 80 and so can't comment.  Anyway, I remember
seeing an advance product announcement from R.F. Meyers about a coming
80/160 combination vertical.  That would seem to be just the thing for
my situation here, and based on my experience with the 160 mono vertical
I'm interested.  Has anybody layed hands on one of these yet?  Any
comments about it?  Backing off from that, are there any other
*practical* ideas for a 80/160 antenna?  I'm right on the beach in
Hurricane Alley, so an 80m beam is *not* an option.  Matter of fact, I'm
not real thrilled about the idea of rotatable dipoles either because of
the maintenance problems.  This is the most corrosive environment in the
world.  Stuff starts rusting when it just hears it's coming to Little
Cayman; it doesn't even have to get here to turn to crud.

Bruce, ZF2NT