[TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing belt Rings
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:43:58 EST
In a message dated 99-02-12 15:53:06 EST, DAVED@ctilidar.com writes:

> you might want to try making your own lanyard with  locking carabiners
>  and your favorite length of Perlon rope or nylon webbing. The Perlon or
>  webbing is a lot stronger and abrasion resistant than the dated
>  interwoven "gold line" rope shown in the recent web site picture of the
>  two safety hooks. The carabiner is more easily opened with gloves on due
>  to its larger gate. The gate, when locked is extremely safe. The rope
>  can be secured to the carabiners with "water knots" (a very secure knot
>  used by climbers). This arrangement also lends itself to easy
>  replacement of the rope on a yearly basis for only a few dollars. With
>  other lanyards, you have to replace the whole works, or trust the same
>  rope year after year. These items can be purchased at mountaineering
>  stores. This is my personal preference and makes me feel safer. I'm sure
>  others prefer the lanyard with clips.

      That's one way to do it. But I can count the number of ham's that I
would trust to tie a useful knot on one hand. And I wouldn't even think about
letting them tie one that their life depends on.

      Get something that is pre-assembled, is OSHA approved and has easy-to-
use double latch hooks. A three-foot OSHA approved rope lanyard with hooks on
each end is only $33.00 from Champion Radio Products. They're cheap - get one
and don't screw around with your life to save a couple of bucks.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products