[TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Problems with YAESU Rotor
From: john@jrh.com (John Hunley)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:48:51 -0500
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth, with all the negative comments
about the Yaesu G-800S...

I've owned one for several years now and have never had any problems
with either the rotator or the control box.  I've never had a tower -
two installations on a mast, with the recommended bolt thru the mast on
both top and bottom.  First time turning a C-3S, the current
installation is a smaller 10-meter 3-element monobander.  The rotator,
mast clamps, and control box have all survived unscathed, including
disassembly, reassembly, and a week in a moving van from California to
Indiana, where enough plastic things got melted that I know the
temperature in the van had to be well over 100 degrees at times.  Since
installing it here, it has survived the below-zero weather we had this
winter, as well as 50-60 mph windstorms that brought down some small
trees in our area.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I'm not pushing the limits of the
manufacturer's claims, but I can't say anything bad about it.  My
antennas have never windmilled, and the whole system worked perfectly
out of the box and continues to work perfectly to this day.

John Hunley, N9JH