[TowerTalk] Side Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side Mounts
From: davidc@bit-net.com (DavidC)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:30:16 -0500
> >  I'd love a cheaper option that does not require me to become
> >  a metalworker ... especially where my use would be in near
> >  proximity to salt water and errors in construction deadly.
> >
>         Can you drill some holes? Do you have a hacksaw and a drill?
That's
> about all you have to do to fabricate a nifty sidemount. What's so wrong
with
> being a metalworker?
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC

And if I choose the wrong materials?  If I leave something improperly
treated to resist salt corrosion?  If I fail to conpensate adequately for
the occasional high winds in along the Gulf? (I will be within 10 miles
of the coast)

Just as many on TowerTalk encourage folks to have a professional
design the tower system for safety, should one not also consider
having a professional design (and perhaps build) a critical element
for keeping a tri-bander attached to the side of that tower ... and
not accidently have it become an unguided missle in a storm?

I have great confidence in my ability to accomplish many things,
just am concerned about some of the unique issues now that I
am moving into the unfamiliar territory of salt and high winds.  Am
I given to understand that these are not worthy of serious concern?
I'd love to save $200. and do it myself, but not at the risk of a
disasterous failure!

73, DavidC  K1YP