[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Hardline
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 22:26:23 GMT
Not to argue with any of the excellent points posted previously, but
this subject really is one of those YMMV issues. One really needs to
think through the particulars of one's own situation and see what set
of rules applies. In my case, the holes in the pipe don't fly. To Wit:

At my place the ground gets "top saturated" during the spring. The
well water level will be 20-30 feet down like it always is, but any 2
ft hole you dig out in the woods will fill up with water. The ground
turns into hard-pan clay down 2 or 3 feet, so the ground above the
hard-pan saturates. (Also one reason why Hurrican Fran took down so
many trees around Raleigh with only 75 MPH winds.)

Any pipe between the hard-pan and the surface with holes in it will
fill up.

What I plan to do on the pipe out at the tower end is to bring the
pipe out of the ground in a gentle bend and up to a large termination
box at the tower for cross-connection, lightning protection,
connection to tower ground, etc.

I am fortunate to have the house slightly down hill from the tower. I
will run the pipe at the same angle downhill throughout the run so no
spot pools. At the house the pipe will go through the foundation into
a walkin space where there will be another cross-connect box hooked
into the ground ring around the house with more lightning protection
(some stuff not near the tower & fed off in different directions).

The pipe will drain into the foundation drain. During springtime, the
foundation drains run water constantly, just like a spring.

May your coax never be soggy ...  Guy.

On Thu, 01 Apr 1999 13:29:50 -0600, you wrote:

>If you don't need the 4" size, use what ever size required and just
>drill the pipe. A lot of us have access to "free" PVC but not drainage
>so just drill it, it takes only a few minutes.

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV
k2av@qsl.net