[TowerTalk] Buried Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Buried Hardline
From: w2xx@cloud9.net (J.P. Kleinhaus)
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 12:20:48 -0500
Gareth asked:

> but what is the story for Mil-Spec 213?

True Mil-Spec anything can never be direct buried!
A careful reading of the Mil-Spec for coax cables
unearths a specification for a jacket material that
is not direct buriable.

Don't assume that just because a cable is marked
"Mil-Spec" that it is necessarily the best for your
application.

The direct-burial coax, such as that supplied by Davis RF
and The Wireman, can be buried without a conduit.  The jacket
material is quite dense and should provide adequate protection
from most subterranean hazards.  It is not armor plated, however,
and your average pick, shovel or backhoe will damage it easily
if you choose to dig in the wrong place in the future.

I direct buried my nine runs of hardline *under* two runs of 4"
PVC conduit.  The hardline uses a flooding compound under the
jacket and is made for that application.  In response to a question
posed earlier, burying bare aluminum jacketed hardline is BAD!

73, J.P. W2XX