[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:54:35 -0400

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:14:18 -0400 (EDT) Bill Fisher - W4AN
<w4an@contesting.com> writes:

>>       The only thing I've seen in the amateur literature is Lew
>Gordon,
>> K4VX's article that showed steel guys actually made his wire
>antennas radiate
>> better so I'll have to admit that I'm a little confused. I've got my
>own
>> anecdotal information that leads me to believe that there is
>interaction but
>> don't have anything more substantial.
>
>The K4VX was based on computer models only.  I do not think he ever
>made
>any actual measurements to back up the models.  Lew forgot more about
>RF
>than I will know, but my gut tells me there is interaction with steel
>guys.  This is based on experience of my own and friends of mine with
>large stations.
>
>Well that and I've spent a hell of a lot of money on Phyllistran.
>:)
>
>73
>
>Bill, W4AN

Bill,
At the old QTH I used Phillystran ( upper 2 sets) on the 100'  20/15M
tower and guy insulators every 28' on the 140' tower with another 15M
stack plus a bunch of 10M. Never could notice any interaction but thats
totally subjective. QTH was in a hole.

At this QTH ( same town but 450' higher elevation) I installed all 4
towers with 1/4" EHS and insulators every 28-29'. With 4 high stacks on
EU, some others fixed elsewhere, etc, again guy interaction was not
obvious. VSWR curves, F/R all appeared "normal" as did many 80-160 wires
including phased vertcals hanging off upper guy wires.

I ran several tests with a military bandswitching FS meter and did not
find any hot spots that would indicate undesirable coupling at locations
I could reach.

All feedlines were/are sleeve decoupled with 4 to 6 large ferrite beads.
Absolutely no ferrite in-line baluns have been used  since I blew up a
Hi-Gain BN-86 with an NCL-2000 back in 1966.

The major problems here, as I'm sure KQ2M can attest to, were trying to
maximize antenna heights as the condx warranted....including changing a
10M array in the middle of a contest.

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]