[TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy wire interaction
From: w2vjn@rosenet.net (George Cutsogeorge)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 14:37:15 -0700
These comments are in the archive somewhere, but since the
subject is here again, I'll repeat them.  In 1966 I put up 80
feet of #25 to factory specs with a 4 element 20 on top.
Initially the guys were only insullated at the tower end as I was
planning on shunt feeding it on 80.  Using an RF milliamp meter
and 2 clip leads, I checked each guy for currents during
tranmission.  There was substantial current in the top set of
guys and lower amounts in the lower guys.  It was not clear at
that time whether it was a problem or not as we had no modelling
software, etc.

One night  when there was no wind at all, a friend and I dropped
the top set of guys while listening to some ZLs coming through on
20.  The difference was amazing as the signals came up several S
units on my 75S3.  I have never questioned the need to use
insullated guys since.

George
W2VJN