[TowerTalk] Guying questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying questions
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:41:44 -0400

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:06:38 -0400 "Tom H" <biskit@snip.net> writes:

>Hi Mike
> Gee, I asked the 4 point question about 2 weeks ago, and got a great
>number
>of excellent responses.  If you go back in the archives (March and
>April)
>you can read what everybody wrote to me.  In fact, I'll send you what
>the
>list members sent to me directly.  Look for it this afternoon.  As far
>as
>elevated guys, you again can find it in the archives (I think
>February).
>For my installation, I just picked up 3 pieces of 3"x10' rigid
>conduitwhich
>I plan to sink 4' into the ground.  I would also recommend either
>screwing a
>floor flange or something else on the bottom of the pipe to keep it
>from
>pulling out from the concrete base.  Another good material is an
>I-beam with
>the end cut on a 45 facing the tower.  I purchased my stuff at a
>local
>surplus yard here in S. Jersey.
>
>7 3,
>Tom K3GM

My neighbor has 150' of 45G with elevated guys due to a narrow and
sloping lot. The anchors were H beams which have more strength than a I
beam.
He also purchased them and had cut to size at a scrap yard. I just went
over and measured, they are about 13" in the wide dimension. While at the
yard have them cut one face at a 45 degree angle to facilitate using an
equalizer plate and have the mounting hole burned thru.
Ive also seen other installations with individual holes for each
turnbuckle. Perhaps one of the PE types here could comment on the pros
and cons of either method.

The tower is used for commercial 2 way and has about 14 20' tall
Stationmasters at various heights plus 7/8" Andrew for each and has been
up since 1990 with no problems.

GL   Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]