[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: n1rui@together.net (Jim Marciniak)
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 17:44:26 -0400
I think K7LXC is correct.

I've seen bulkhead panels with copper strap which connects from the panel to
the ground, where it is essentially rolled horizontally a few inches below
grade, with topsoil placed above it. Driving ground rods at an angle should
work.

I highly suggest the Poly-Phaser book that's available called THE GROUNDS
FOR LIGHTNING PROTECTION. It is well written, has much information which is
important for hams to consider, and actually has very little propaganda for
Poly-Phaser products. Some items I have never seen covered by ARRL, and
after reading the book, I'm certain there are several improvements I can
make to make my grounding situation safer and more efficient. For instance,
I found that grounding your coax higher than your equipment invites
lightning pulses to use your equipment as a pathway to ground - a difference
in height above ground equates to a difference in ground potential, and
lightning just loves differences in potential!

I also bought the video tape - I was less impressed with that. Save your
money, just buy the book!

Their URL is http://www.polyphaser.com/  leaving an E-Mail will get a
response in a day or so, and they accept credit cards. I think the book was
about $24.00.

I have no interest financially or otherwise in Poly Phaser, and I do not
work for them or anyone remotely connected with them.

73 all,

Jim  N1RUI