[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:12:53 -0400

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:24:41 -0700 Tom Osborne <w7why@harborside.com>
writes:

>Jim Berry wrote:
>>
>> Here is something I would like try.  Using common 1/2 copper
>>plumbiing
>pipe for a ground rod.  There is no way I could pound >that soft stuff
>into
>the concrete hard soil around here though, but >maybe a piece of
>steel
>rebar would fit inside the copper pipe.
>
>Hi Jim
>
>I've heard of guys soldering a hose fitting to the end of the
>copper pipe, and hooking up the garden hose to it, and just
>working it into the ground by shoving and wiggling it around.
>I've never tried it, but it should work.  73
>Tom W7WHY

It works up to a point and certainly worth a try.  The problem is that in
some soils all you wind up with is a big void 8' down. The rod goes down
but the earth contact is nil.
Been there, done that 30 yrs ago.  If it works its cheap, just dont
expect miracles.

73  Carl  KM1H

73  Carl  KM1H

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]