[TowerTalk] Ground Rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ground Rods
From: basalop@gte.net (Jim Berry)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:17:11 -0700

Here is something I would like try.  Using common 1/2 copper plumbiing pipe
for a ground rod.  There is no way I could pound that soft stuff into the
concrete hard soil around here though, but maybe a piece of steel rebar
would fit inside the copper pipe.  Then one just might be able to pound it
into about anything.  Interesting one that I am going to mess with when it
stops raining around here.  The cost would be a fraction of a copper plated
ground rod and who cares then if the rebar rots away over the years.  If you
could get the copper pipe into the ground that would be more then any plated
rod could ever hope for when it comes to copper thickness.
There is a trick using a garden hose over a soft copper pipe and simply
oozing it into the ground, but I highly doubt if anyone has a water outlet
handy at the end of their Beverage.

73 Jim K7SLI