[TowerTalk] re: pouring concrete, finally!- a question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: pouring concrete, finally!- a question
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:20:31 -0400

Kelly Taylor wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In Rick's (KC5AJX) post, he mentioned that his holes were too deep. Now,
> I'm not sure you can have too much concrete under a tower, but that's
> another discussion. Anyway, his fix was to shovel loose excavate back
> into the holes.
>
> Now, I know that when you're pouring a footing for a concrete basement
> wall, you must pour onto undisturbed soil. Is the same true for towers?

In most cases, you must have undisturbed soil.  Rohn guy anchors are
an example where you need undisturbed soil on the bottom and all sides.
Rohn short bases need a gravel bed underneath them for drainage, so this
would be an exception.  The reasoning is to prevent the concrete from
compressing the earth beneath the concrete causing the foundation to
settle and go out of plumb.

Mike, W1NR

--
**************** Give Every Man His Dew **************