[TowerTalk] R7(000) v.s. Mobile Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R7(000) v.s. Mobile Antenna
From: froberts@pe.net (Fred Roberts)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 10:38:19 -0700
Richard Thorne wrote:  -snip-

> I'm toying with the idea of getting a R7000 or a good mobile antenna
> (High Sierra Screw Driver type) for my home qth.

> I have a 5th wheel rv in the backyard that the mobile antenna could be
>
> attached to or I could simply install the r7000 to the side of the
> house.
>
> Has anyone compared the R7000 to a good mobile antenna?  Is one better
>
> than the other?

Rcihard-

I have used an R7 on my RV  ... no, not while operating mobile ... and
also a Hustler mounted on the 2nd step back ladder and tilting back
about 35 degrees.  When raised, the R7 was on a 22 ft pole (my set-up
allowed for it to be raised or lowered in 20 minutes with most of the
time spent in attaching all of the radials).

In comparing the two antennas on 20M while at the beach, I observed the
R7 was about 1 S-unit better.

I also share W4ZW obervations about the R7 and R7000.

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Riverside, CA