[TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?
From: notawc@juno.com (notawc@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 12:38:27 -0400

On Sat, 1 May 1999 09:44:10 EDT K7LXC@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 99-04-30 21:39:11 EDT, n8gan@direcpc.com writes:
>
> > 60' of Rohn 45G will almost stand up by itself, so no overkill
> necessary.
>
>       WARNING - it's not even "almost". DO NOT install or climb 60
> feet of
> freestanding 45G.

I suspect a bit of over reacting here, Ken's response appeared to be more
tounge in cheek. Notice he said "almost".
Yes, its always better to err on the side of caution.

On a related thread would not just one set of 1/4" EHS guys at the 40'
level be sufficient for a modest tribander type of installation?
Which would be better in that case, a pier pin base or solid concrete?
This would then negate the need for easy to damage Phillystran and
possibly even guy insulators. In Florida having everything grounded 6
ways to Sunday seems a wise move.

Factory specs allow 2.3 square feet @ 70 MPH
> self-supporting at 45 feet. That's the factory height limit.
> Self-supporting
> at 90 MPH, the limit is 35 feet at 1.9 square feet.
>
>       More information is available from the Rohn pamphlet
> "Manufacturer's
> Technical Information for Bracketed or Self-Supporting Towers". It's
>
> available free from http://www.championradio.com.
>
> Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]