[TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] A Different Take On Guy Wires?
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK/4)
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 13:06:10 -0400

> On a related thread would not just one set of 1/4" EHS guys at the 40'
> level be sufficient for a modest tribander type of installation?
> Which would be better in that case, a pier pin base or solid concrete?
> This would then negate the need for easy to damage Phillystran and
> possibly even guy insulators. In Florida having everything grounded 6
> ways to Sunday seems a wise move.

Most, if not all, of Florida is 100 MPH or 110 MPH territory.  I would
not consider leaving 20' of Rohn 45 above the guy point even with a
small tribander (C-3, TH3, TA33, A3, etc.).  Such an installation would
be "pushing the envelope" for the tower strength at the guy attachment,
the base, and in the middle of the lower span.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>