[TowerTalk] Re: X9 vs C32XR, etc

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: X9 vs C32XR, etc
From: tbarnett@fairway.stdio.com (Tyler Barnett)
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 18:55:14 -0400 (EDT)
The test "protocol" was a transmit station (where each yagi was mounted), and
a receive station, where a reference dipole was situated.
They were just over a mile apart, on each side of a bay, most of the path over
water.
Think the tower height was 55', not sure, maybe it was 66'.
At the end of the day, as the saying goes, they plotted the combined gain from
20, 15, 10 vs the boomlength of the antenna.  It was quite interesting to see a
number of good tribanders sitting squarely on this line, which seemed to
indicate
to the presenters that all the gain that could be obtained, was being obtained.
The longest boom was the C31XR at 32', followed by Skyhawk, TH7, etc.
The conclusion was that you couldn't really tell much difference on the air
between any of them.  The smaller C3 was called an over-achiever, due to the
performance it got from being admittedly less of an antenna than it's bigger
brothers.
The poor Mosely PRO-67 got bad numbers again this year.
I may open up a can of worms here, but I have a good friend with one of these,
who is active every day on the bottom end of the bands, and he is as loud as
anyone in Europe, from first-hand conversations of his contacts.
I personally made a QSO with a friend in Wales from his station, using 100W and
this PRO-67, and I thought it worked every bit as good as my TH7, maybe better.
I wonder if the PRO-67 has a cleaner pattern, and "takes off" with less pattern
spillover to detect a mile away.  Who knows.
Tyler N4TY