[TowerTalk] Easy method of digging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Easy method of digging
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 21:05:39 -0600

On Sun, 30 May 1999 20:49:46 -0600 David Leikis
<dlleikis@deseretonline.com> writes:

>Hello tower-talkians,
>
>I have what may seem like a rather silly question, but I would like
>some
>advice from some that may have encountered this before.
>
>I will very soon be digging a hole  7 feet X 3.5 feet X 3.5 feet in
>my
>back yard to install my self-supporting crankup tower.  I have
>checked
>out several options to do this and here are the basic options.
>

>1. Get a shovel and dig the hole.
>    Problems:
>a. Danger of hole collapse with someone in there over their head.
>b. Lack of working room to move the shovel.
> c. Need to use a bucket brigade method of getting the dirt out.
>d. Lots of hard work.

This is my recommended method.

c is a remedy for b, so don't list it separately. Put some plywood
near the hole for the bucket brigade to walk on, so they don't collapse
the hole.

Exercise is good for you.

Take pictures, and you'll have an occasion to remember.

Regarding danger of collapse, even at its deepest, the
hole is only about one foot above your head, and it's
a big 3' x 3' opening. It's easy to keep an eye on
potential danger.

Have plenty of beer for your helpers afterwards.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]