[TowerTalk] Easy method of digging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Easy method of digging
From: kc5ajx@hotmail.com (Rick Bullon)
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 07:59:25 GMT
>>2. Rent a small back hoe tractor.  ( A good option is the "TerraMite"
>yard tractor.)
>     Problems:
>a. Possibility of hole collapse due to surrounding weight of tractor.
>b.  It can dig down 8ft. 4 in., but the 1st boom would not be able to
>allow an
>      arc of movement to reach into a 3.5 sq. ft. hole easily.  ( I would
>need
>      to keep moving the tractor back and forth to reach to bottom.)
>c.  I could dig back the near side some to allow access of the boom
>problem in (c),
>      but the base requirements state that the surrounding earth be
>undisturbed to
>      achieve full wind load rating of base and tower combo.
>d. Inaccurate hole dimensions due to my amateur standing as a back hoe
>operator.
Dave
  First let me say that I have been where you are and have done it two ways.
First the TerraMite is an easy to use machine. I suggest first you take time
and play with the controls and I do mean play with them one you get the
controls down it is easy and will dig a nice straight hole
  When I dug the base for my tower I didn't get the fell of the controls and
it took me all weekend to get 2 of 4 holes dug ( I put in elevated guys) I
then hired a pro to finish it. it cost they are about the same for the pro
as it did to rent the back hoe.
  Well UPS lost the short base section ( I put in a guyed Rohn 25 tower 70
ft) and my vacation was over by the time I got the base. It rained at  least
3 days a week for the next month then winter blew in. It was about 4 months
before the weather was nice enough to try and finish the job and the holes
had started to fill in.
I rent the TerraMite again and this time I took time to play with it. I just
sit out in the field and worked the controls till I knew what did what. I
then cleaned out the holes and got nice straight sides although I got a
little too deep so I put sand and gravel in the bottom as per the Rohn book
and poured extra concrete.
  The trick with the back hoe is learning to move to boom toward you as you
"curl" the bucket it is easy once you get the hang of it.
Bottom line you can do it yourself or hire a pro the cost will be close. I
think the difference between the two was about $75 bucks of course you have
to meet the minimum with the pro I think I found it to be 2 to 3 hours
minimum but check around with several guys
  Hope I helped ya some
73
Rick
KC5AJX