[TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-572MDL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX-572MDL
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:29:04 -0400
> 1.  What is the voltage / current rating of this tower's motor?  It's not
> specified
> in the catalog!

Hmmm. The catalog isn't clear on whether the 72' tower comes with the
MDP-750 or the MDP-1000. It does say that the 72' TX version comes with the
MDP-750 and the 89' TX version comes with the MDP-1000. I would guess you
will get the MDP-750, but you should check with the factory. In any case,
the MDP-750 requires a 120VAC, 15A circuit. I ran a 220VAC 20A line (about
250') with #8 wiring to minimize the drop, then split it into two 120VAC 15A
circuits at a subpanel next to the tower (the other circuit feeds a general
outdoor utility outlet.) Still get a very tiny flicker in the house lights
when the motor starts up.

> 2.  I'm planning to run the AC power and RF coax cables to the tower
> underground.  Should they be run in the same pipe, or should I plan 2
> pipes,  one for RF and the other for AC power?

Where I live, the building code requires that AC lines be run in a conduit
by themselves, which is what I did. I used three pipes: one for AC (1"), one
for RF (4") and one for control cables (2.5".) If you get the U.S. Tower
remote control package, note that it uses 120VAC control signals! It's a
violation of code if those go in the control cable conduit. I ended up
building a simple 12VDC relay panel inside the tower AC relay panel and
building a new remote control box so I could feed the tower with 12VDC
signals through the control cable conduit.

> 3. What's the best pipe to use?  Solid PVC  or  perforated pipe?  I'm
> thinking perf on the bottom for drainage of condensation. I've seen
> references to both on this reflector,  but don't recall a consensus.

This might depend a lot on humidity and soil conditions in your area. I used
the grey solid plastic PVC used by professional electricians for underground
wiring. It is terminated at each end in a sealed weatherproof utility box,
so very little moisture can enter the conduit. We have moderate humidity
here in New England, but nothing like Florida or the Texas coast. The spoil
is relatively dry and very rocky. The water table is well below the conduit,
which is buried 4 feet down. I've had no water ingress problems in two
years.

73, Dick WC1M