[TowerTalk] computer niise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] computer niise
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 15:44:42 -0500
You know, I read with sympathy the notes from people having trouble with
RFI related to getting into or out of computer equipment.  I hear about
covering the bottom of keyboards with grounded copper plate and various
ways of trying isolate monitors etc.

FWIW, I have a Gateway system that doesn't have any problems in this area
at all.  I don't think I even have the cabinent grounded at the moment.  I
do some RTTY contesting, sometimes at 1000W or more, and I don't have
problems with the keyboard, monitor, crashing software etc.  I think there
IS some interference from the hard drive tripping the squelch on
VHF/UHF/scanners once in awhile if those devices are really close, but
that's it.

One thing that I think helps SOME of the RFI-related problems is that the
Gateway has a METAL case - so many are plastic these days.

Sorry for the bandwidth - I really just wanted to plug metal cases and give
Gateway an unsolicited plug for an amateur-friendly machine!

P.S. I hope to be receiving my TOWER soon!

WA9ALS - John
mailto:jfleming@shelbynet.net
Tower Project Guestbook http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/towerproject
Amateur Homepage http://www.shelbynet.net/~jfleming/amstart.htm