[TowerTalk] Re: tuning M2's 40m1L antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: tuning M2's 40m1L antenna
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 18:42:45 -0500
The connected balun with an open end added several
pf of capacitance shunted accross the feedpoint. The real
test was when you disconnected it entirely. 2.75/1 vswr with
the antenna setting within 50 feet or so from the ground is probably
a realistic value.

I never found out, but my theory is that the M2 balun may be short
by several beads in covering down to 40 meters. Before we get
carried away into left field; while you have the balun off, connect
your 259B to the balun and a 50 ohm resistor accross the output
terminals and sweep from 6 to 8 mhz to see if the vswr is flat (1.1/1)
If it is, recheck all measuements and connections and hang
the antenna. If it is not flat, exchange the balun with M2, and be
sure to sweep it also before you install it.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC