[TowerTalk] Small tribander & AB-577

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Small tribander & AB-577
From: n1eu@hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 16:21:06 EDT
(To respond to Mark's question on rotor placement)

Ben told me he didn't think bottom placement was a good idea since there is
significant friction where the mast contacts the rollers.  Everyone I know
of is mounting the rotor on a short mast off the top.  Yes, the bottom of
the mast is locked by a drum brake-like device.

Would appreciate hearing from a few folks on my original question re
comments on the performance and reliability of:

Mosley TA-33 (with or without 40m add-on)
Mosley Classic 33
Hy Gain TH5Mk2

Tnx & 73,
Barry  N1EU

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:48:44 +0100
>
>Has anyone looked at the ab-577 as far as rotor placement?
>can you lock it so it will not turn or do you adapt a rotor
>to the bottom? I am looking at using one for portable work
>during the vhf contests.
>               Mark
>

>Barry N1EU wrote:
> >
> > I drove out and picked up an AB-577 from Ben Brown on Saturday.  BTW, he
>has
> > lots of them!
> >
> > I'd like to initially put up a small used tribander to gain confidence
>in
> > the installation before putting up something newer, bigger, and more
> > expensive.  I have the option of purchasing the following used would
>appreciate any
> > comments on their performance and reliability:
> >
> > Mosley TA-33 (with or without 40m add-on)
> > Mosley Classic 33
> > Hy Gain TH5Mk2
tribanders