[TowerTalk] Small tribander & AB-577

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Small tribander & AB-577
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:28:14 -0400
Barry,

I'm glad Ben has a lot of masts -- I just put a check in the mail for one
today!

I'm sure others will tell you that these aren't exactly "small" beams,
especially the TH5Mk2. The TH5Mk2 has a 19' boom, 5 elements (4 on each
band), longest element 31.5', windload of 7.4 sq ft, and weighs 57 lbs. I
think it would be classified as a "medium" size beam. The Mosley Classic 33
has an 18' boom, longest element 27', windload of 6 sq ft, and weighs 42
lbs. The TA-33 has a 14' boom, longest element 28', windload 5.7 sq ft,
weight 38 lbs. I don't have specs on the 40M kit, but I would guess it would
make the windload and weight equal or exceed the Classic 33. I guess both
Mosley antennas would be on the large end of the small beams.

In theory, the TH5 should be the best performer. The boom is the longer, the
elements are longer and it has more elements per band. If you don't think
the extra size is a problem for the AB-577, and the used price is right,
that's the antenna to buy.

Dick