[TowerTalk] Mounting a dipole above a tower and beam

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mounting a dipole above a tower and beam
From: clewis@ro.com (Chuck Lewis)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:39:11 -0500
We've used this scheme for K4BFT's field day 80/20 CW setup for the past six
or seven years. The 80M inverted vee is supported above a 2el 20m quad which
is at 50 feet. We used two lengths of Radio Shack TV masting just dropped
into the short rotator mast. The upper end of the TV mast has a saw kerf to
allow a hose clamp to tighten around a sealed ball bearing. We used a 12"
eyebolt, with a 90 degree bend, through the bearing, with washers and jam
nuts either side of the inner race.  The washers are small enough to clear
the outer race while clamping the eybolt to the inner race. The bent part of
the eyebolt extends 6-8" off to the side, and provides the center support
for the Vee.  It's been trouble free, even though we ALWAYS have t'storms;
I've frankly been surprised that the bearings are still free-running seven
years later, after all that rain.
If I were to try this in a more permanent application, though, I'd use two
bearings and protect them from the weather.

Chuck, N4NM

a 2el ----- Original Message -----