[TowerTalk] 4130 mast corrision treatment?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4130 mast corrision treatment?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:06:11 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-28 09:46:18 EDT, jackcolson@x-press.net writes:

> I have been told totally opposite approaches for treating 4130 Chrome-
>  moly mast material.  I'd like to learn what others have done.    So what
>  is recommended ?

      I'm not sure what you mean by "totally opposite approaches".

      In general, some sort of protective coating will eliminate or retard
oxidation. The best is hot-dipped galvanizing. If that's impractical, then
using some sort of manually applied coating will work. This could be an
industrial coating or marine paint.

     I don't know what the rate of oxidation is on a piece of chromoly steel,
but even untreated it'd probably last for 50 years or more.

Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC