[TowerTalk] Element taper in beam antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Element taper in beam antennas
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:19:01 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-28 19:08:58 EDT, Thomas@cybrzn.com writes:

> Am wondering to what degree element taper in a yagi affects the operating
>  parameters of the antenna. Specifically, if I had two beams with identical
>  element lengths and spacings but they differed slightly in diameter or in
>  the amount of tapering, would I see any difference in resonant frequency
or
>  bandwidth?

      Yes, you'd see a difference. You have to allow for taper since the
basic calculation assumes a single dimension element. Years ago I put
together a 4L 15M beam out of my aluminum boneyard. While the dimensions were
what they were supposed to be, the elements had different sizes of aluminum
because that's what I had. The danged thing was a dummy load at 115 feet.
Lesson learned? Symmetrical element tapering is mandatory.

      Lew, K4VX, wrote a nice little taper program years ago that I used when
I built a 6PV for 15M to replace the 15M/DL. This antenna works, tnx in part
to Lew's program. Contact him for more details - k4vx@arrl.org.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC