[TowerTalk] BIG-BOY-ROTATORS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BIG-BOY-ROTATORS
From: Conwaay32@aol.com (Conwaay32@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:09:16 EDT
I noticed numerous people on the tower reflector looking for answers
pertaining to real life experience of the Big Boy rotators.  With this in
mind, I decided to give our (I purchased 2, one for a friend and we put them
up at the same time)  overall impressions from two big boy owners.  I also
elected to put up the results directly on the reflector as I don't know how
many people ask questions about the rotator and I do know it is very popular.

A little less than 4 months ago as I said we purchased two PST-61 rotators
and had them installed in a Rohn 45 and Rohn 55G tower respectively.

Here are our combined observations:

1.  The instruction book if you are living in Europe is fine but needs a lot
of help with the English language.  Although the schematics/drawings are okay
we had to read certain paragraphs twice through and think about it.  I called
First Call Communications, their American representative and spoke to a women
who assured me that a new booklet is being made up and would be sent out
within two weeks.  She further added that the delay was due to the many
changes and upgrades that were put into the American version of the rotator.

2.  A most annoying part of this whole experience of this rotator is when I
found out the holes for the rotator plate did not match those of the M2 Orion
2800 that I was replacing after just 4 months.  Drilling new holes at 130
feet up was another one of life's many experiences.  Soon however you realize
that the Big Boy rotator is not the usual run of the mill rotator and the
hole pattern is different and it is meant for turning a bigger load.  For
your information I am turning a full size 6 el 20 and a 3 el 40.  The Orion
2800 had a mind of it's own when you are trying to turn it in the wind.  The
Big Boys were put through the test the other day with the remnants of
Hurricane Dennis and performed well.  The other model 61 which is owned by my
friend turns a 3 el 40, a 5 el 20 and a 91 foot long 75 meter dipole.

In conclusion the B/B worked and performed extremely well as per
specifications on both towers.  We would have both liked the new mast clamp
similar to the Orion but it is not available yet.  The PST 61 turned the
arrays beautifully even in the heavy winds mentioned earlier.  I would have
preferred a "south" end of rotation but the overlap covered this and I think
I understand that I can change this later.  The overall experience is good,
well worth it and very much like the Telrex that I had in the 60's.

If I (we) left out anything or you need additional commentary let me know.  I
work out of two offices, one being in London so responses may not be
immediate if I am abroad.

73

F. (Murph) Murphy, Jr.