[TowerTalk] Guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:30:38 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-20 22:53:45 EDT, frosty@kc1.net writes:

> My question is on using aircraft cable leaders on both ends of a
>  non-conductive guy, like Phillystran or Kevlar.

      ARRRH - whoa there, Pilgrim. 'Aircraft cable' has no business being
used in a tower installation. I've never seen a manufacturer spec it.

      You only need EHS leaders on the anchor end to prevent possible damage
by vandals and fire.

      Phillystran is Kevlar.

> How long should they  be?

       Long enough to get them out of reach. 12-15 feet will work.

> What size of steel cable should be used for the leader?

      What does your tower manufacturer say? It's probably either 3/16" EHS
or 1/4" EHS.

> How do you connect the ends? thimble to thimble? mounting plate to clevis
with
>  thimble?

       Thimble to thimble. The steel terminates at the turnbuckle.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC