[TowerTalk] Re: [stainless hardware]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [stainless hardware]
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:45:56 +0008

Hi all,

Steve wrote...

>      When installing SS hardware, use an anti-seize on the threads or you
> stand a good chance of galling them and rendering the bolt, nut or U-bolt
> useless.

This is a funny "catch-22" sort of problem.  Steel hardware rusts,
and when it does, it looks ugly and guess what?... seizes and is
rendered useless.

Stainless hardware looks good, but ... seizes!  (Almost always at the
top of the tower.)   I've not had much luck with anti-seize (but
defer to K7LXC's infinitely more experience).  The good news is, when
the stainless fasteners gall and seize, they are fairly easy to
shear.  Just remember to take your 1/2 inch drive sockets and strong
arm bar "up the tower" with you.  I'm still using stainless, because
pretty (and seized) is, well, prettier, than ugly (and seized.)

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT