[TowerTalk] Another GROUNDING question.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Another GROUNDING question.
From: aa0cy@nwrain.com (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 10:20:28 -0800
A good lightning ground is a good RF ground, but the converse
isn't necessarily true.

Make sure the cold water pipe is continuously metal and doesn't
become PVC soemwhere.  Also jumper all joints to prevent crud
buildup from increasing its resistance, the water meter likewise must
be jumpered.  This last step may require a licensed person to do the
job, so check the municipal requirements.  Although the cold water
pipe doesn't hit ground for a fair distance, it still carries the current
with minimal inpedance (to any other medium).  You should consider
changing the #6 to at least #2; 2/0 would be better; and 1-1/2"-wide
(or wider) copper strap would be the best medium for that jumper.

73,
Bob AA0CY