[TowerTalk] CushCraft A4S+40 meters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CushCraft A4S+40 meters
From: rgoddard@mail.tqci.net (Robert Goddard)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 13:38:43 -0500
Hello All,

I recently purchased a CushCraft A4S with the 744 add-on kit. I put it together
and set up each element according to the instructions provided and insatlled on
my tower. The SWR was so incredibly high on all bands rendering it useless! All
bands are 1 MHz low, ie.. 20.200 MHz for 15 meters. I took the antenna down and
proceeded to try this again after tech support email and voice mail messages to
CushCraft. They advised to remove the add-on kit and again measure each element
according to the instructions. Well, the antenna is still useless. I was
advised to shorten the driven element by 4" and see if that helps, to make a
long story short I have shortened the driven element 8 1/2" to make it resonant
on 10 and 15 meters and shortened the 40 meter element by 9". After all this
adjusting, 20 meters is still a bit too long ie.. 2.0:1 VSWR at 14.260 MHz. I
hope after installing in free space on the tower the measurements do not change
again.
Has anybody had these problems with the A4?

73, Rob N3NFX