[TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower
From: tomwagner@mindspring.com (Tom Wagner)
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 08:37:39 -0500
In a properly guyed Rohn 25/45 tower, I would expect
both bolts and compression to provide *none* of the
strength.  I would expect that all the legs should be in
compression all the time.  The bottom end
of each section should be resting on the top of the
section below.  If your guys are so loose that they
would allow a leg to "hop off" without any bolts then
quibbling about what kind of bolts to use
is the least of your problems.

This does not apply to unguyed sections, where the
bolts would be important, as they are during erection
and disassembly.

You want your tower to be as strong as possible?
It's simple, understack and overguy.  I.e.  don't
exceed 50% of the maximum design height of
the tower and use more & larger guy sets than Rohn
specifies.   The reason to not exceed 50%, is that
you never get close to the allowable maximum downward
force on a leg.  That safety margin can be used
to allow more/larger guying, which significantly
strengthens the tower.

Tom - N1MM
(not a PE)